Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
ADX/1471: Borth Bog (Cors Fochno)
Acc. 3373Ref: ADX/1471Reference
: [GB0212] ADX/1471Date(s)
: 1954-1965 (with earlier printed maps)Level
: Fonds Extent
: 20 filesScope and Content
: Maps and documents concerning 496.075 acres of land at Ynyslas, Llanfihangel Genaur Glyn and in Llancynfelin parishes on Borth Bog (Cors Fochno) from 1949 to 1964 under the ownership of John Lionel Maurice Sinnett of Cedar Lodge, Weekley, Kettering Northants, in his Dovey Estates and Broughton Estates Ltd. ADX/1471/1/1-5
1. Schedule of lands of Mr J. L. M. Sinnett at Ynyslas (3 copies, one in ink and two in pencil).
2. Notice of a tenant to quit the Mochno Fields, Park Bach and Bryn Saint in Llancynfelin Parish, from Enoch Griffiths and Marinah Jane Griffiths of Doleynydd Ynyslas, Borth
29 October 1925
3. Letter from Cardiganshire War Agricultural Executive Committee, Lampeter, about the Borth Bog Drainage Scheme.
1925 and 11 June 1942ADX/1471/2
Draft Report of Borth Bog Investigation under the Welsh Agricultural Land Sub-Commission Act of 1947.
16 June 1950ADX/1471/3
1. Correspondence concerning the Drainage of the Mochno Fields under the Welsh Agricultural Land Sub-Commission Act of 1947 and the reclamation of Borth Bog as it concerned Mr Sinnetts land
14 January 1942 - 21 March 1950
2. Borth Bog Investigation Report with a colour map of drainage and roads
3. Map of Borth Bog Investigation Soil Survey by the Welsh Agricultural Land Sub-Commission, with Mr Sinnetts land coloured pink.
Correspondence between Mr. Sinnett, Welsh Agricultural Land Sub-Committee, and the National Farmers Union in September 1950. Also tracing from the OS Cardiganshire Sheets I.12 and III.2 of two fields alongside Afon Leri.
Correspondence concerning Borth Bog Reclamation Scheme, including: description of the quality and value of Sinnetts Mochno Fields and part Pencau, 31 December 1947; demand by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries for payment in regard to the Scheme and Sinnetts arguments in regard to this; non-payment of rent of the Mochno and Pencae fields, 1950; enquiries by adjacent farmers to take over the tenancy; Merseyside and North Wales Electricity Board proposal to supply Ynyslas, July 1953; newspaper pictures from The Times concerning a peat cutting machine, 9 July 1954; map by the Welsh Agricultural Land Sub-Commission, Borth Bog Investigation Soil Survey, 1960; correspondence concerning Mr Sinnetts wishes to sell his land.
19 July 1951 - 27 April 1961 ADX/1471/6
Correspondence concerning Mr Sinnetts land and the rates imposed on it by Gwynedd River Boards Borth Internal Drainage Board. ADX/1471/7
Printed map with report on all the Cors Fochno drainage District, with the drain, rivers and embankments marked, and Mr. Sinnetts land coloured pink. ADX/1471/8
1. Tracing of map of Pencae Fields, including Ty Mawr Mochno and Ty Hwnt with boundary marked in red.
2. Map of Mr. Sinnetts fields (coloured green and numbered; two copies)
3. Two copies of list with numbers and acreages of parts of Mochno, Parc Bach and Brynsant Fields.
4. Questionnaire concerning land drainage of Pen Cae fields, correspondence from Gwynedd River board about these, and map and list of Mr. Sinnetts fields. 1954.
5. Correspondence concerning Borth Bog and Dolwen. 1961
6. Sale by Mr. Sinnett of 15 acres.
7. Letters concerning Estate Duty on a Marriage Settlement, the Estate of J. R. Williams, 1961 and letters concerning ownership of some of the land, 1963.
1954, 1961, 1963ADX/1471/9
Correspondence concerning a dispute over ownership of nine acres of land which Mr Sinnett had sold by mistake to Wold Farms
1964 and 1965 ADX/1471/10
Correspondence about selling Mr. Sinnetts 496 acres, with offers for the land including enquiries about selling peat. Also tax claim for repairs and maintenance to his properties, information about tenants of the land, and payment of rent for two poles carrying electricity wires.
Copy of sale from Sinnett to Drakes and Wolds Farms, 14 October 1961; Counsels opinion on the dispute about the 14 acres, 1963 and 1964; correspondence about a settlement, 1965; other miscellaneous items
1961, 1963 and 1964ADX/1471/12
Draft of an Apology concerning the 14 acres sold by mistake; correspondence about the crop of wheat on the 14 acres and a bridge leading into the land with suggestions for advertising an apology in the Cambrian News; information about the tenant of the 14 acres; some details about the Marriage Settlement Trust.
Letter to Mr Sinnett from his Solicitor, Mr. Vaughan Williams of Llandeilo, concerning his Marriage Settlement and Trusts, Troedyrhiw in the parish of Llanfynedd.
4 February 1965MAPSADX/1471/14
Amalgamated maps mounted on linen of the 25 inch Ordnance Survey Maps, sheets I.14 and I.15 of Henllys showing Ynyslas to Glan Dyfi and Cors Fochno.
25 inch Ordnance Survey map of Upper Lledrod parish, XXI.1,
Six Inch Ordnance Survey map, Cardiganshire sheet I.SW (Ynyslas)
Six Inch Ordnance Survey map, Cardiganshire sheet III.NE
25 inch Ordnance Survey map of Ceredigion, XVI.13, Upper Lledrod and Tregaron parishes. With some farm boundaries marked in green: Glan-yr-oerfa, Pant-y-dafad, Waun Bant, Rhyd-y-gareg and part of Brynarth Bach.
Cardiganshire 6 inch Ordnance Survey map, sheet III.NW (Morfa Borth).
Cardiganshire 6 inch Ordnance Survey map, sheet I.SE (Llancynfelyn parish).
Ceredigion Archives - 40 years of preserving the past for the future - and counting