Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
ABY/X/113: Aberystwyth Yesterday: Photographs
Acc. 2551Ref: ABY/X/113Reference:
late 19th c. - 1980sLevel of description:
23 itemsScope and content:
Family photographs, some in album, others loose.
1. Photograph album with elaborate cover with model chalet interior, 'St Finton a Arlberg', originally containing black and white snapshots of holidays, exotic and domestic, in the 1930s, some of which have been replaced by colour photographs taken in the late 1960s and 1980s, apparently by same woman who started album.
Page 1. Two 1980s colour prints: family group, birthday celebration or similar; two elderly women.
Page 2. Four black and white snapshots, skiing holiday: 'Self at St. Anton'; 'Self, George & Alex'; 'The Bouhoff party'; 'At St. Anton'.
ABY/X/113/1, Skiing holiday 1
Page 3. Four black and white snapshots, skiing holiday: 'St. Anton'
ABY/X/113/1, Skiing holiday 2
Page 4. Two black and white snapshots, skiing holiday: 'St. Anton'; 'On the Slopes at Davos'.
ABY/X/113/1, Skiing holiday 3
Page 6. Three somewhat sepia black and white snapshots: 'Sandy Cove, Trincomalee (Shri Lanka)'; 'Miss Saunders - Winifred, Sandy Cove'; 'Winifred at the Bungalow, Trinco'.
Page 7. Three somewhat sepia black and white snapshots: 'The Bungalow, Trinco'; Miss Sands - Self'; 'The Lagoon, Batticaloa'.
Page 8. Three somewhat sepia black and white snapshots: 'The harbour, Trincomalee'; 'Winifred - Self'; 'Helen Taylor'.
Page 9. Three somewhat sepia black and white snapshots: 'David Taylor'; Miss Sands & Self catching crabs'; 'The Dutch Fort, Batticaloa'.
Page 10. Four somewhat sepia black and white snapshots: 'Making Chatties at Baticalor'; 'The Logoon, Batticalor'; 'Galle'; 'Galle Lighthouse'.
Page 11. Four somewhat sepia black and white snapshots: 'Sister's Home'; 'Joseph Fraser Nursing, Colombo'; 'Batticalor'; 'Fort Frederick, Trincomalee'.
Page 12. Original pictures removed and replaced by two colour prints of young boy, one with dog. Erased caption, 'Dick ... Place'.
Page 13. All but one original pictures removed leaving only portrait of woman, 'Self at Fraser Home', beside polaroid of two boys with dog over relic caption, F. Bono.
Page 14. Three somewhat sepia black and white snapshots: 'Self at Siciriya (Shri Lanka)'; 'The Jungle from Siciriya'; 'Winifred on Siciriya Steps, 1935'.
Page 15. Three black and white snapshots: 'The Duke of Gloucester Driving Through Kandy'; 'A Tank Near Alpura'; 'Ploughing with Water Buffalo'.
Page 16. Three black and white snapshots: 'A Paddy Field'; 'Dick at Amber Pussa'; 'The Elephant having a Bath nr. Dambula'.
Page 17. Three black and white snapshots: 'Self at Anuradhapura'; 'The Twin ponds, A. pura'; 'Dick at A'pura'.
Page 18. Three black and white snapshots: 'The Moonstone'; 'Abhayaciri, Dagaba, A'pura'; 'Some of the Ruins at the Buried City. The Guard Stone'.
Page 19. 'Four black and white snapshots: 'A Paddy Field'; 'The Poonrcalla Bungalow'; 'Self at Poonrcalla'.
Page 20. Four black and white snapshots: 'Win, Self, Hurst, Marion, at the Singapore Swimming Pool'; 'Win, Nora, Self, in Penang'; 'Marion, Alec & Self, Singapore Reservoir'; 'Ca... & Self at Penang Hill'.
Page 21. Three black and white snapshots: 'The Botanical Gdns, Singapore'; 'Colombo Golf Course'; 'Winnifred at Singapore'.
Page 22. Four black and white snapshots: 'Penang from the Boat'; 'Majorca'.
Page 23. Four black and white snapshots: 'The Cathedral, Palma'; 'Leaving Port Said'; 'Tea picking, Poonrcalla'; 'The Suez Canal'.
Page 24. Five black and white snapshots, taken at and around farm: 'Father & Richard'; 'Self & Watch (dog)'; 'Nellie & Watch'.
Page 25. Five black and white snapshots: 'Self & Pat at Richmond Park'; 'Ella, Hannah, Eurwen'; 'Self - the Knight Children, Westcliffe'; 'At Ynys Wen'.
Page 26. Five black and white snapshots, taken at and around farm: 'Robert, Meg & Dick'; Laura & Dick'; 'Ella, Eurwen, Hannah'; 'Bob, Ella, Eurwen'.
Page 27. Five black and white snapshots: 'Bob & William, 1935'; 'William & Elizabeth, Xmas 1937'; 'Nellie, Ebs, Wm.'
Page 28. Four black and white snapshots, groups of nurses: 'Monsall Hospital'; 'The Dundee Royal Infirmary, Matty Staff'; 'The West London Hospital, on the roof'; 'Some of the D.R.I. staff'.
Page 29. Four black and white snapshots: 'The Cathedral Ruin, St Andrews'; 'St. Andrews'; 'On Board the D.P.L. boat seeing Marsh off'; 'The Castle, St Andrews'.
Page 30. Four black and white snapshots: 'Winifred - Self at Fern Brae, Dundee'; 'The Weir, Knightwick (Worcestershire)'; 'Knightwick'; 'Staff & Patients at Knightwick'.
Page 31. Four black and white snapshots, one remounted, two colour snapshots: family group in snow, 'Margaret, Ted & Rowena'; doctor and nurse, 'Win & Dr Gordon Smith'; two nurses; family group; colour, bungalow, elderly woman on rock.
Page 32. Five black and white snapshots, mostly of children and chickens, taken on the farm, one of which includes the distinctive tip of Yr Eifl, indicating that the farm was located a short distance south of Llithfaen, in the Lleyn.
Page 33. Four black and white snapshots, mostly children, with car and perambulator, taken near farm. Two of these feature the distinctive peak of Yr Eifl, that with the car being taken on the road south of Llithfaen.
Page 34. Five black and white snapshots: three of house, with man on ladder, horse and trap, women, child and dog; group of nurses in snow; nurse with children.
Page 35. Five snapshots: three black and white, woman with infant and with horses, three children; two colour, woman and girl on float, country house.
Page 36. Two black and white photographs, elderly couple at home, woman with infant, 'Hotel Plas Pistyll, near Nefyn', cut down from advertisement card.
Page 37. Black and white snapshot of infant; colour photographs of family group at Whipsnade Zoo, 9 June 1968, woman and infant on sandy beach, August 1968.
Page 38. Three colour photographs: family group in rural garden raising glasses in a toast, December 1969; infant on sandy beach, September 1968; family group outside rustic public house, August 1968.
Page 39. Three colour photographs: family group at outside table, 'Anne's Cafe near Whipsnade', 9 June 1968; woman showing birthday cake to infant distracted by camera, December 1969; women with child beside Christmas Tree, December 1969.Loose photographs (in envelope)
2-7. Black and white
2. Girl, head and shoulders with elaborate lace collar, late 19th century?
3. Smiling woman, head and shoulders, 1918-1939?
4. Printed as postcard, woman, full length, 'Nhaol u mam'
5. Farmhouse, possibly near Llithfaen, see pp. 32-5 of album, above.
ABY/X/113/5: Farmhouse, exact location unknown
6. Elderly woman, child and infant, all in garden, 'Ma & Baby'
7. Two boys, studio portrait.
8. Toddler with rose bushes and pylon, 'Mark in the garden'
9. Child and toddler in garden, 'Mark and Ian'
10. Snapshot, child on beach with sandcastle
11. Snapshot, woman in lilac dress and hat, in garden, 'Janice going to Elizabeth's Wedding'
12. Elderly woman ('self') in evening dress, 5 November 1982
13. Elderly woman ('self') outside Sandymount bungalow (see p. 31) with boy
14. Child dressed as cadet, c. 1982
15. Child, school portrait, c. 1982
16. Elderly woman ('self') with boy, holding toy train, and infant, 'David - Mark - Self'
17. Child cutting birthday cake with eight candles
18. Boys with dog and moped in field (see p. 12)
19. Young man with elderly woman ('self')
20. Graduation family group, with part of poster for Rainman, 1988
21. Graduation ceremony, c. 1988
22. Colour postcard, 'The Cherry Pie Inn', Nannerch, near Mold.
23. 'Original photo art', Iona Abbey, partial text on reverse, 'Just to remind you of Iona!! ... have brought the boat up to Mull ... have done a lot of fishing ... Mummy is recuperating (me too) ... the National Eisteddfod - quite a ... eek!! Mark is enjoying himself ... usual. ... Aunty Mary is a new person but .... didn't come with us this year ...