Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
ADX/1201: Notebooks of John E. Morris
[GB 0212] ADX/1201Title:
Notebooks of John E. MorrisDate(s):
9 itemsScope and Content:
Notebooks and some loose sheets containing notes, research, photographs and other images relating to the history of Cardiganshire, compiled by John E. Morris when he was headmaster of Llangeitho school.
1. Notebook entitled 'History of Aberystwyth'. Contains lists of Aberystwyth residents and their professions derived from a guide published in 1816, lists of ships from a port book 'in public library' 1796-1799, and copious other notes.
2. Notebook entitled 'Film Strip Script' containing notes for a lecture accompanied by (possibly) slides or other images. Subject is history of Aberystwyth. Some notes are on loose sheets.
3. Engraving of Aberystwyth sea front in 1861 (fell out of item 2 above)
4. Notebook containing photographs of documents relating to Aberystwyth harbour and of 19th c. drawings of buildings in the town. Also one photo of houses, possibly in Bridge St.
5. Notebook of photographs of inns in Aberystwyth and of old engravings of the town, also one of a painting of Hafod mansion and of a bill from the Hafod Arms Hotel, Devil's Bridge.
6. Notebook of photographs of engravings of Aberystwyth and also of buildings in the town, the Nanteos cup etc.
7. Notebook containing two photographs of coins minted in Aberystwyth and one of page of a book on the Civil War describing the destruction of Aberystwyth Castle (where the mint was situated)
8. Notebook of photographs of maps, the Llanbadarn Church and its inscribed stones, Aberystwyth and Pendinas, Gogerddan Mansion and other locations incl. a mine.
9. Notebook of photographs of maps, and of engravings of buildings in town incl. St. Michael's Church, the Tabernacl, Our Lady's Mill and the harbour.