Archifdy Ceredigion Archives
Parochial Records, Llanddewi Aberarth
Acc. 2581Ref: CPR/LDAReference:
[GB 0212] CPR/LDATitle:
Llanddewi Aberarth Parochial RecordsDate(s):
78 itemsArchival History:
There were five deposits of Llanddewi Aberarth parochial records to the National Library of Wales. The first deposit comprises numbers 1-7 and number 32. The second deposit was made in June and July 1992, and consists of numbers 9-11, 13-30. The third deposit was made in January 1995 and comprises numbers 8, 12 and 31. The fourth deposit was made in February 1995 and comprises number 33. The fifth deposit was made in May 1996 and comprises numbers 34-37.
The collection was transferred to Ceredigion Archives in 2010.Associated Material:
For related documents see the list of St Alban’s, Tyglyn parochial records. (CPR/SAT)Scope and Content:1-4. Vestry Books
(see also 38)
1. Fragmentary Vestry Book, with certain minutes of 1752-1806, but the bulk of the book has Vestry Accounts of 1766-1816.
2. 1798-May 1821.
4. 1870-1894.5. Churchwarden’s Accounts
5. 1818-1871, including the Tyglyn Charity Account.6-7. Llanddewi Aberarth National School Records
6/1-2. Two volumes with a Summary of Attendances and Payments from 1860-1888.
7/1-33. Volumes of Attendance Registers, 1876-1882, and 1885-1892.8-10. Sunday School Attendance Registers
(see also 34-37)
10. c.1915-192111. Electoral Roll
11. Electoral Roll 1931-1978, examined as being correct in 1966, 1969, 1972, 1975,and 1978.12. Register of Services
12. Register of Services, April 1930-September 1947.13-32. Miscellaneous Papers
13. Copy of Extract of Court Leet held at Llanddewi Brefi before Morris Sayce, steward, 22 October 1839, concerning a slang of ground, 38 yards by 11 yards, on which a school room had been built, that the officiating minister of Llandewi Brefi was to have.
14. Correspondence and papers, 1862-1887, relating to the charities of Henry Jones and Alban Thomas Jones Gwynne. Henry Jones of Tyglyn, by his Will, 2 November 1793, left £120 for the benefit of the Llanddewi Aberarth Sunday School. A further £20 was added by the Rev. Alban Thomas Gwynne.
15. Abstract of Title to an estate in parish of Llansantffraid in Cardiganshire, belonging to the perpetual curacy of Llanddewi Aberarth.
16. A copy of an altered appointment of the Rentcharge in lieu of Tithes, in certain lands in the Parish of Llanddewi Aberarth, for 39 acres, 1 rod and 9 perches of the Earl of Lisburne and Alban Thomas Davies to be charged at £2.15s 7d, and 182 acres, 3 rods and 14 perches of Davies Alban Thomas, to be charged at £11 9s 4d. 7 May 1874
1-2. Mortgage and counterpart between the Rev, Henry Morgan and the Governors of Queen Anne’s Charity for securing the payment of £350 with interest in order to purchase a house and land to be used as the parsonage house.
3. An extract from a Deed, 1 December 1895, with a description of the house and land with a letter, 16 March 1888, giving the cost of the Parsonage house which was £1266, of which £966 was Trust Capitol, and £300 lent on the mortgage of the Governors of Queen Anne’s Bounty.
4. Two letters from the Queen Anne’s Bounty concerning extending the mortgage for ten years, 1875, 1897.
5. Two plans of the site of the Vicarage.
1. Certificate of Subscription for Henry Morgan, clerk to the perpetual curacy of Llanddewi Aberarth, 27 April 1883.
2. Memorandum of his declaration of assent to the 39 Articles of Religion, 13 May 1883.
19. Copy of the Faculty dated 1883 for constituting the parish church of Llanddewi Aberarth as the parish church of the united benefice of Llanddewi Aberarth with St Alban’s Tyglyn, and for pulling down the chapel of Tyglyn.
20. Balance Sheet and printed list of Subscribers to the Llanddewi Aberarth Church Restoration and two receipts for work done, 1931.
21. Correspondence, 1887-1953, principally between the Rev. J. Morgan Davies, Aberarth Rectory and the Governors of the Queen Anne’s Bounty and the Charity Commission, relating to the Henry Morgan Charity.
22. Llanddewi Aberarth Tithe Rental list, 1905.
23. Two copies of an extract from the proceedings of the King in Council at the Court of St James on 19 July 1910, which provided for the separation of all the portion of the parish of Llanddewi Aberarth within the urban district of Aberaeron, and to unite this with the adjoining benefice of Henfynyw.
24. Letter relating to Fire Insurance policies for the Llanddewi Rectory and a farm and its buildings belonging to the benefice, with a copy of the policies and valuations, 1911.
25. Statistical Returns in printed questionnaires of parochial work, c.1912-1918.
1. Conveyance for a charity of two cottages called ‘Commons’ near Pentre Farm in the parish of Llanddewi Aberarth, 30 October 1913.
2. Photocopies of an order to sell the cottages, 1914.
3. A statement describing them, saying they had been demolished, and details of selling the site, 1964.
27. Conveyance of a piece of land with a bungalow called ‘Henerddi’ in the parish of Llanddewi Aberarth with typed details of documents relating to it. It was formerly the site of the Commons Cottages. 1914.
28. Questionnaire relating to the Welsh Church Act of 1914, Form D, part 1, Particulars of Endowments, with manuscript answers and two blank copies of the form, and some related correspondence.
29-30. Balance Sheets for Llandewi Aberarth church, 1946-1947, 1947-1948.
31. File of Correspondence, 1959-1975, including letters from the Rev. L. Haydn Lewis to Canon Morlais Williams about the reservation of grave space in Llanddewi Aberarth churchyard; letters about road widening at Aberaeron and Holy Trinity Church; a photocopy of the conveyance in 1970 of land forming part of the curtilage of the Henfynyw Vicarage by the Representative Body of the Church in Wales to Mr and Mrs G. G. Davies, and correspondence relating to the sale of the curtilage.
32. The Book of Common Prayer
, London 1669. Bound in the same volume is The Psalter or Psalms of David
, London 1669. Handwritten on the contents page of the volume is the note ‘John Jones 1 October 1736 ex dono Anne Parry. On the title page of the Psalms is handwritten John Jones, his hand’.33. Parochial Church Council Minute Book
33. Parochial Church Council Minute Book, 1921-1995.34-36. Sunday School Attendance Registers
(see also 8-10)
36. 1960-1963, 1966-1969.37. Sunday School Miscellaneous
37. Book containing a list of clergy and lay persons in charge of devotions at the beginning and end of Sunday School Meetings, and also for catechising the Sunday School members, 1904-1929.38. Vestry Books
(see also 1-4)