There is a warm welcome for everyone in Ceredigion Archives. Whatever your interests and field of study - on family history, local history, school projects, old vehicle registration and many other subjects - come and see what we have to help you.
Staff at the Archives can suggest appropriate lines of research, and guide you in the use of the documents.
NB. Our existing reader's ticket scheme is being replaced by the Archives Card
, a single archive reader’s ticket which gives you access to a wealth of original material held in archives across the UK. The Archives Card is free of charge and valid for five years. You can start the registration process at home; click here to find out more
Monday 10am - 5pm
Tuesday 10am - 5pm
Wednesday 10am - 5pm
Thursday 10am - 6pm
Friday 10am - 4pm
(Closed on Bank and Council Holidays. If you are coming from a distance contact us
first to confirm that we will be open.)
The Archives are situated in Aberystwyth's old Town Hall, about ten minutes walk from the railway and bus stations. There is free on-street parking in town and on the sea-front, but please remember Aberystwyth can be very busy in the holiday season. There are also several pay-and-display car parks in the town.
(The map above is the Ordnance Survey Map of 1905 - here is a more contemporary view
The Archives are accessible to people in wheelchairs.
Food and Drink:
Eating and drinking are not allowed in the Searchroom. When lunchtime comes (or a cup of coffee becomes irresistible) go for a short walk to the town centre. Aberystwyth is full of cafes and restaurants. We're sure you'll find somewhere you'll like!
In the Searchroom
• No food or drink (including sweets) to be consumed in the Searchroom
• Please turn off your mobile phone ring tone
• No bags on tables in the Searchroom
• Photocopying, scanning and photography at the discretion of the Archivist
• Children and their parents should respect the quiet atmosphere of the search-room
Most of the documents in the archives are unique and some are fragile. Please handle them with great care
• Make sure you have clean hands
• Turn pages carefully (and never lick your fingers
to help the process please!)
• Do not lean on documents, and avoid unnecessary handling of documents
• Do not rest your own writing pad on the document
• Always use a pencil
, never a pen.
• Use a book-rest or book support for bound volumes
• No more than four documents per person at any one time
If you would like help using a document ask a member of staff for assistance.
The Tourist Office
in Aberystwyth can provide details of local accommodation for those who need to stay overnight.